Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

(image via goodreads.com)

Citation
Garden, Nancy. Annie on My Mind. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1982. Print.

Awards
  •         1982 Booklist Reviewers' choice
  •      1982 ALA Best Books
  •         Best Books of the 1980s
  •         ALA Best Books for YAs for past 25 Years, 1994
  •         One of the Best of the Best Books for YAs of the last 4 decades of the 20th Century, ALA, 2000
  •         Won Mock Printz Award for 1982 in contest held at ALA Midwinter in 2002


Annotation
Two high school girls in New York City, Annie Kenyon and Liza Winthrop, find that their friendship is blossoming into a new, sweet love.

Booktalk
Liza Winthrop found Annie Kenyon in the middle of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, singing a song to herself. They find themselves in a spirited jousting battle, dueling their way through the knights in the Hall of Arms and Armor. After that, they are inseparable friends. Soon they realize their friendship has become something more.

“Annie turned around and looked at me and the sadness in her eyes made me want to put my arms around her. “I’ll go, Liza,” she said, standing up. “I – I don’t want to hurt you. I don’t think you want this, so I have hurt you and, oh, God, Liza,” she said, touching my face, “I don’t want to, I – like you so much. I told you, you make me feel – real, more real than I’ve ever though I could fee, more alive, you – you’re better than a hundred Californias, but it’s not only that, it’s…”
“Better than all those white birds?” I said around the ache that was in my throat again. “Because you’re better than anything or anyone for me, too, Annie, better than – oh, I don’t know better than what – better than everything – but that’s not what I want to be saying – you – you’re – Annie, I think I love you.”
I heard myself say it as if I were someone else, but the moment the words were out, I knew more than I’d ever known anything that they were true.” (94)

As their relationship blossoms and their love grows, Annie and Liza deal with becoming intimate, whether or not to come out to their families, and their plans for college and beyond. 



Teen Perspective
“[It’s a]well written, sweet love story about realizing who you are.” – Melissa, 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment