(image via goodreads.com)
Bauer, Marion Dane, ed. Am I Blue? Coming Out from the Silence. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1994. Print.
- ALA Best Books for Young Adults
- ALA Recommended Book for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
- ALA Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual Book Award for Literature, 1995
- Lambda Literary Award for Children and Young Adults, 1995
- Minnesota Book Award for older children, 1995
In a collection of short stories, edited by Marion Dane Bauer, Am I Blue? explores the experience of gay and lesbian life through the eyes of young adults.
Am I the only one? At times, growing up, it can feel that way.
The characters in this book come from a myriad of backgrounds. They span different races, religions, forms of family. Some are questioning their sexuality. Some are coming out as gay or lesbian. Some are learning more about a gay friend or parent. They all find comfort in the fact that they are not alone. The authors are able to tell many different types of tales, and in doing so, illustrate that being gay or lesbian is not one sole experience.
Sharing their stories helps illuminate things that are often kept quiet or left unsaid. Learn more about these stories in Am I Blue? Coming Out from the Silence.